Saturday 20 November 2010

DJ CULTURE: JASON CORTEZ


What is this week's floorfiller? 
I'll blow my own trumpet here and say either a cheeky wee remix I'm working on of 30 Seconds To Mars' 100 Suns, or a new track I'm waiting to sign called sens8.

Who was/is your DJ guru/inspiration? 
I've had many over the years. I loved Paul Oakenfold and Tom Wilson when I first got into dance music and clubbing. as I've grown older and more immersed in DJing and music, people like DJ Yoda, Kutski, Marco V, The Tidy Boys and Ediie Halliwell have all inspired me. Right now anyone useing new technology to play or make music is inspiring.

What was your most banging Edinburgh gig ever?
Probably one of Nuklearpuppy events I used to promote. I'm so honoured and lucky to have played in front of some great crowds in Edinburgh over the years, and I hope to play many more.

What was the first track you ever bought?
I waish I could say it was something cool, but if I remember correctly the first record I ever bought was s Scottish Football song called We Have A Dream. I remember buying it from John Menzies on Princess Street (the shop made semi famous in the chase scene at the start of the film (Trainspotting). Thinking back, it is actually a great, blood-pumping football anthem.

Favourite all time track?
If pushed to pick just one track it would probably have to be Gorecki by Lamb. It's a track that many might recognise when they hear it as I've heard it in movies, TV shows and adverts etc, but they won't know what it is or who it's by. It's simply beautiful!

Catch Jason DJ with Eddie Halliwell at City Nightclub on 27 November. You can also hear him at The Lane and various Edinburgh venues.

No comments:

Post a Comment