Friday 19 November 2010

LAIDBACK LUKE INTERVIEW:





The dynamic Dutch DJ has been taking 2010 by storm with his supercharged hybrid house. He's worked with David Guetta, Diplo, A-Trak, and Li Jon. Remixing everyone from Black Eyed Peas to Calvin Harris, from Christina Aguilera to Moby. A string of hits and sell out gig's go to prove he's one of the most sought after DJ talents to date.


Tonight Luke's in Scotland, playing at the Colours event in The Arches. So we took the opertunity to catch up with Luke and find out what makes him tick... 

So what's been happening in the world of Laidback Luke?
Keeping up with the touring and hotel room productions. Just released my new track called Timebomb and my collab with Robyn called Indestructible. Always busy with new tracks and rocking dance floors.


What's been the highlight of the year so far?
My Ibiza season was amazing. A DJ boy's dream come true to finally have my own billboards up on the island. I did my own Super You & Me party take overs with Cream at Amnesia this year. I was surprised by how much of a success it was.


Where were you playing over summer, did any one gig or place stand out?
Apart from Ibiza I was all over Europe this summer. The festivals were amazing, both Creamfields and Exit Festivals in Serbia were the ones that stood out the most for me.


We've heard you spin downtempo, techno, trance and electro, genre know's no bounds...what's the most important factor for you when your creating music?
For me, if it works on my dance floor to be honest. But i do always keep in mind other DJs need to be able to play it too. Apart from that, I do tend to blend everything I like in my style. That's why all my tracks sound differently each time as well, I just love so many different styles.


More recently, you have done some fantastic remix work for big commercial player's. The resulting remixes are exceptionally dance floor friendly, fun and break people preconception's. What is the most important factors when working on these projects?
Most importantly, I have to like the original song in the first place. I have turned down remixes by big commercial names because I didn't feel the track. If I don't feel it, the remix won't be good either. I just take those elements of the original I like and pour it into the Luke Mould.


Do you get the chance to spend much time with the artist's you remix?
No, never really. Mostly you get to deal with the managers. A lot of the time my management is in between as well. It's just managers communicating with managers basically ha, ha.


Do you have a road map when your in the studio or do you follow a different process?
It's really important to work with a road map actually. This saves loads and loads of time. I sometimes use sounds and beats from a previous project and a lot of plugin settings I have saved to instantly be able to bring them up and put them in use. The thing is, you want to spend as less as possible to the technical side of things, when you're in the creative process of making a track. Anything technical will block your creative motivation.


What has been the most important thing to happen to you in the last 15 - 20 years?
It's amazing to be able to overview my career after all these years. And I'm happy there's still an increasing line there. the whole trip was amazing really, and there's still so much to come and do.


You've been working with some very talented people, is there anyone you would like to collaborate with in the future?
No not really. I have been talking to Afrojack to work on a collaboration and I might go into the studio with Kelis as well. I don't have real specific desires, it comes when it comes.


Who do you think are the new producers coming through worth listening out for?
At the moment I'm big fan of people like Congorock and Sandro Silva. I recently picked up some new kids like Gianni Marino and Grand Theft Audio whom i expect a lot from in the near future.


When your on the road do you chill or are you buried in your laptop?
I rarely chill to be honest. Most of the time I just feel it's a waste of time and my career will stop if I do so. I do tend to chill out with my new girlfriend nowadays. She tends to remind me life is good.



If you can choose only one, what's your favorite tune of all time?
Wow. That's one of the toughest questions around. Still hard to answer. I'd say something like Phoenix - Love Like Sunset. It has no beats and it basically lifts you to a higher spiritual level listening to it. Like I see my whole life flashing by listening to the track. A feeling of love at its most pure form. very deep answer I know, but to me it's a very deep question as well.


What or who inspired you to DJ and create music?
The fact that I found out music could actually be made with the help of a computer. I come from a musical family and I have been writing lyrics since I was four years old. the only thing is, I was never the best one of the family at playing an instrument. When I found out you could make music with a computer, I could finally unleash all this musicality that was stuck in my head. I decided then I wanted to do this for the rest of my life.


Do you still paint?
No, I don't have time. I do know I can still do it. Drawing is my first talent in life and it will always be there for me. Time and the lack of it is a serious issue in my life. Not complaining though.


Djing... do you use vinyl, CDJs, or other technologies - and why?
I play music from SD nowadays. I was one of the guys that helped develop the new Pioneer CDJ2000 players that run music off digital media. This has definitely been a step up for everyone that is playing CDs. The future is here.


Panasonic announced the death of the old one's and two's at the end of October, how do you feel about that?
You probably mean Technics right? To be honest, I'm surprised it lasted until 2010. Those turntables came out in like what, 1980? It's the end of an era, but so time for a new era.


You've got a massive fan base in Scotland with the upcoming gig in The Arches on the 19th November, what can we expect to hear you play?
Really? I'm not even aware. I'm just gonna bring a lot of my sound, Swedish stuff meets Dutch stuff (I call it Swedutch ha, ha). The Laidback Luke bootleg and mashup machine and a lot of energy.


What's your plans for Christmas and New Year?
I'm actually having some off days at Christmas for the family this year. But playing the 26th and 27th. This will be my first New Year's Eve away from my home country and I'm playing in LA this year. Very excited to experience it.


For further information (right click open in new window):
www.facebook.com/coloursfanpage
www.colours.co.uk
www.laidbackluke.com

No comments:

Post a Comment