Thursday 26 May 2011

PODCAST & ONLINE INTERVIEW: DAVE ANGEL




THIS weeks Podcast comes courtesy of Dave Angel, the father of UK techno. Angel is a prolific character, he gives off an aura of positivity like no other, a kind of warmth which you'll feel through his music and exceptionally uplifting DJ sets.



 DAVE ANGEL - THE GUIDE MIX FOR GRAVITY - 26th May 2011 by The Guide Clubland


(GP)So what's been happening in the world of Dave Angel? 
(DA)Well, where do I start... I have been working on various projects, an album for a japanese label which is tech funk and another album which shows more a chilled and relaxed side of me. 

I have also been doing various remixes recently - Cottage Industry for Danny Howells Dig Deeper label and Marco Baileys Rubberband just released on John Digweeds Bedrock label. I have a few more remixes to work on over the next few months but I'm also concentrating on my own productions.

I haven't been well for a while and was in hospital for 6 wks so im just getting back to being myself. It's good to be back in the studio and on the road Djing.


(GP)Your Djing in Edinburgh on Saturday night at the Gravity launch party are you looking forward to be back in the Burgh? 
(DA)I feel like im going home, I have so many "good" friends up there, they are a family and Scotland on a whole has always been good to me, so im really looking forward to it.

(GP)Your style has evolved over the years from harder techno to a funkier sound, what would you say you were into at the moment? 
(DA)I'm into all music, but the funkier side of music has always been by forte. Tech house is more the mature dave angel but hey we all have to grow up sometime!


(GP)Who's your biggest inspiration as an artist and DJ? 
(DA)I will have to credit derrick may for this. The man is a genius!


(GP)What were you like as a kid and what drove you into being a DJ? 
(DA)As A kid I was into music from a very young age. Whilst all my mates were out playing I was in the studio with my dad and his band playing the drums.  Being a young man of the late 80's when the acid scene really hit, I was fortunate enough to already be a Dj on a radio station so the rest is history. I loved playing records and it just progressed to the big stage.

(GP)...And, producing music what made your mind up that this was what you wanted to do? 
(DA)That is because its all I know how to do, I couldnt see myself doing a 9-5 job. Not that I disrespect anyone doing that - I put in more hours (he laughs). But with electronic music being the future, the drums sticks were put down and the 909 purchased.

(GP)Looking back did you ever think you were ever going to be where you are now - a premier league DJ and world class producer? 
(DA)No one could have predicted what would happen, my mum kept telling me to get a real job and put away the records (he laughed). But I knew what I wanted and went with it.

(GP)How does it work when your in the studio, is there a roadmap to work to or is it a completely fluid process where you play with ideas? 
(DA)I just start and see where it takes me, if I have a picture I go with it if not I experiment.

(GP)How would you describe the music you create? 
(DA)A reflection of me and how I feel at that moment.

(GP)What advice would you give to anyone wanting to get into DJing or making music?
(DA)If you love it, keep pushing on and believe in yourself, before you know it 5yrs will go by and you will hear your progress.

(GP)Do you have a favourite piece of studio equipment? 
(DA)Yeah my new macbook pro and a new chair (he laughs)

(GP)Are you a day person or a night owl? 
(DA)Night owl - but I have to get up to get the kids from school.

(GP)Jet setting around the world seems exciting - what's it like really? 
(DA)Hard work and not as glam as people think, no food , no sleep and standing in a lot of lines waiting for security checks

(GP)When on the road do you sleep or work or just chill? 
(DA)All of it! 

(GP)What's a normal day in the life for you? 
(DA)Get up check emails, have some breakfast or brunch, get kids come back fire up the studio and im there till dinner, if arsenal is playing I will watch them if not im back in the studio till 3ish then wind down with a game if fifa then bed and start all over the next day - groundhog day man

(GP)There seems to be a revival of the original house/techno, do you think it has come full circle? 
(DA)Music always comes full circle.

(GP)What are your favourite labels of the moment? 
(DA)I wouldnt say labels, my favourite artist is Eric Prydz - his production is supreme.

(GP)Who are the new producers coming through who you think are worth checking out? 
(DA)James Hannah he will be worth watching out for.

(GP)What's your top tune of the moment? 
(DA)I'd have to say my remix of Marco Baileys track rubberband which is rising up the beatport charts!

(GP)What was the first record you bought? 
(DA)It was on trojan records a reggae tune I cant remeber the name.

(GP)What's your favourite tune of all time?
(DA)Filles de Killimanjaro by miles davis its the oldest piece of music I know my mum used to use it as a lullaby to get me to sleep and i think its a great piece of music by a legend

(GP)So what's the plan for the summer, DJing or family life or a bit of both? 
(DA)Both!

Catch the man who made UK techno Dave Angel @ the Store (Formerly GRV) Saturday night for the launch of new club night Gravity.

Words: Grant Paterson

No comments:

Post a Comment